skip to main content
placeholder for top bar

Ella History

Ella Granger
Ella Granger Steel


The Ella School District was founded in 1874 and named by the then county Superintendent of Schools, Thomas H. Steel. He named it after a teacher, and his soon to be wife, Ella Granger. The land where the school resides was donated by a Yuba County Pioneer, Cline Bull. In 1879 there were 31 children who lived in the district. The Ella Elementary School building was dedicated in April of 1939 by Marysville Parlor No 162, Native Daughters of the Golden West. Currently, Ella is a part of the Marysville Joint Unified School District and services around 580 students in grades TK-6th. It also houses a preschool classroom as well as three Yuba County Office of Education classrooms.
*Historical Information gathered from an Article by Harold Kruger found in the April 25th, 1989 Appeal Democrat about Ella School's 50th Anniversary. 
class of 1940
Graduation Class- March 29, 1940

Graduation Class- March 29, 1940

Top Row: Inez Moore, Pauline Selby, Juanita Eslick, Virginia Pilcher, Paduita Roy, Ruth Neves, Betty Williford, Irma Gene Curtis, Juen Sayer, Marie Bryant, Nadean Watson, Audry Moore
Second Row: Zula Gay, Leona Jones, Roberta Rogers, Mary Watson, Wilma Collier, Pauline Elliot, Ruth Bullard, Amy Clay, Alice Flickinger, Betty Cleveland
Third Row: Oscar Whiteley, Doc. Rogers, Haskell Meadors, Norman Helwig, Luther McRee, Leroy Mosley, Arthur Self, Jess Powell, Richard Williford
Bottom Row: David Barker, Clifford Brinkley, Clifford Yates, Billy Sutfin, Noland Manjeot, Charles Phillips, Gerald McClain, Joe Lawrence
Teacher-Principal: John R. Dower

Absent (Not in photo): Elinor Keith, Elmer McClain, Willard Waggoner, Irene Hurst, Paul Johnson, Jack Martin, Gloyd Shelton, Viola Satterfield